Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Commercialization

Since some time, it has so happened that I have ended up writing something or other during the long dreary hours of lectures. Today as well, when I have started writing this I notice a basic fact for the very first time. It is a very plain and simple fact that I have been writing things only during those lectures when some powerpoint presentation is going on.


Now, Mr. Bill Gates would definitely have had some idea of how large it is going to become when he introduced Powerpoint to the MS Office package. PPT files have become an important part of all kinds of business – teaching, marketing or otherwise. Things have changed before and things are changing now. But some things and some people still stick to the older methods. It was just yesterday when I visited one of the junior’s rooms and found her scribbling something on a transparent sheet with a permanent marker. She told me that they need to give a presentation and the only aide they’ve is an Over Head Projector. My – my, I was shocked and frowned at the technical prospects that a premier institute provides its students with.


People say that we’re developing and the net per capita income is increasing continuously. Now, looking at the mathematical aspects of this I find that though the increase is continuous but the distribution is surely discrete. People, who earn, earn a lot and those who can never get a penny across!


In this scenario, there ought to be conditions that people opt for weird things as a profession or rather a way to earn living. Recently, our class went on a trip to Manali. It is an awesome and beautiful place. When we visited Snow Point, the nearest possible place from Manali, where one can find snow in the month of April, I did get an idea of how can mankind commercialize some very mere ideas of joy in order to get the most important of all – money. Rs. 40/- per head to pose with a Yak, Rs.100/- for using a tyre tube to slide on snow… are some very weird examples of what I want to convey. How mean has mankind become? To commercialize or to sell all the little things in life that can give even a meager amount of happiness to someone, sounds so very unkind!


But guess this is how it all goes… who am I to say something against the world’s age old traditional atrocity!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The business of business is business.

:)

Proxy said...

Yeah sure Harshit!! Business is business after all!

The Decayed Canine said...

You know, they say that most of the really good things in life are for free.
I think not. Someone or something somewhere is happening as a consequenses of every bat of your eyelid, let alone tyre skiing. So I think we shouldn't crib too much about the cost of our actions as long as that cost goes into restoring the balance of everything around us.

I guess I aint making much sense, but hey, that is typically me... :)

Shrey said...

At least blogs (and nonsensical comments) come for free :)
I guess that's what free speech is all about.

Shrey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.